Sunday 24 February 2008

Rising higher than man?

Two books I have read some of (although not finished) are Friedrich Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. But, they are definitely on my to do list.

What have these two books got in common?
  1. They both attempt to say that the strong man creates a meaning for himself and his life.
  2. Both books had a tendency to egg on the masculine - my personal opinion is to vary this concept, and egg on specifically masculine energy with regards to success. All successful people tend to possess masculine energy - think Margaret Thatcher for example, someone who, in a colloquial sense, had bigger balls than the whole of her party combined.
  3. They both speak from an Athiestic viewpoint.
I must say I am not an expert in either of these two books or the philosophy of their authors. And I think both books are incredibly valuable, influencing the thoughts of some of the most famous (and often, infamous) people of power worldwide. But, do they miss a certain point? Do they miss the sense of "being" in describing how for man to create a purpose in his life?

Since reading The Power of Now, I have had a significant paradigm shift. Many of the bad experiences and missed opportunities have resulted from my egoic mind. However, both - especially Ayn Rand - champion rationalism, the modus operandi for the egoic mind.

I think both were missing out something from the human experience in their philosophies. I think they both experienced what Tolle describes as "being" - Nietzsche spent time in thought in Switzerland, and Zarathustra spent time pondering life in the mountains before coming down to speak. Rand's romantic descriptions clearly show an appreciation of aesthetic beauty, and I am sure that neither Dagny Taggart or Hank Rearden were thinking about life whilst in the throws of passion - they would have just been there in the moment, in the same way that Tolle describes.

So, in my opinion, trying to accommodate for the three constituents of person (consciousness, mind and body) is not easy if one is to simply read the above books. Will discuss this further later.

No comments: