Sunday 24 February 2008

Career Path: Fight for honour, or playfight for fun?

I had another quick thought when I was walking down the street just now. Lest I forget it, here it is.

Is it better, in a career:
  • To fight for something honourable?
  • To fight for something enjoyable?
The question for me is, when I am 70 years old or so, looking back on some of the things I have done in my life, will it have been better to have taken the hard struggle (such as working in politics or public service), fighting for something which would be traditionally seen as noble and worthwhile, or alternatively, to fight in a career for something enjoyable - like working really hard to make people have a fun time, whether it's by opening a skydiving school, working in travel and/or tourism, or becoming some form of comedian or entertainer?

In the first example, the poem Invictus by William Ernest Henley springs to mind:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever Gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of Circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of Chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

SOURCE: Wikipedia

Now sure, the stoic "captain of the soul" has a great deal of honour. I used to only aspire to be this kind of person, unconquerable, striving for what was great and good. But to be honest, I wasn't happy.

Will I be more satisfied if I work hard at something which might not be described as so "honourable"? Is my ego just trying to force me to create a legacy, which I will not be able to view once I die and may not even be built?

Or should I go around and aim to work hard to put a smile on my face and the face of others? Not in a clownish sense necessarily, but in another way - whether through art, entertainment, or giving people experiences which move them in a profound and positive way?

No comments: