Saturday 26 April 2008

Managing my life... online

I was thinking to myself about using the Internet to advertise my actual life.

Of course, I would never link the items from a "public" blog to this, my private blog - a place that allows me to express my opinions and emotions without worrying what other people think.

But as a method of communicating with people, and allowing them to follow my life, the Internet can be very useful, and also be a way of adding value to the people you know and meet. They can find out more about you; you can provide content online which you believe they will find valuable. Indeed, it is the best method of personal branding, being instantly accessible by all.

I plan to integrate my life using the following services:

  • Facebook - this one is essential as so many of my friends are on it. However the problem is there are people on it who are no longer my friends. My idea is to use Facebook as a way to keep in touch with people from all backgrounds (business, university, old school friends), but not share my private life. I will remove all my photos and set my privacy settings to maximum.

  • Wordpress/blogspot - I plan to maintain a blog of sorts, especially if I run a business. This blog will cover content which I am currently interested in, and will be not in the style of "today I ate fish and chips..." but rather a blog which I can use to add value to people.

  • Picasa - in order to share my photos, but control privacy, I will put my photos on Picasa instead of Facebook.
  • Twitter - as you can see at the side of my profile. This will let people know what I am up to and where I am going.

No comments: